HG Meningococcus – the only test on the market to painlessly screen young children for the most common cause of bacterial meningitis direct from throat swabs, in addition to traditional invasive sample types.
- Over 1.2 million cases of bacterial meningitis occur annually¹.
- Neisseria meningitidis, also known as meningococcus, causes up to 50% of bacterial meningitis cases in young children¹.
- Meningococcal infection is characterised by a rapid onset, difficult clinical diagnosis and high mortality (up to 50%) and morbidity rates (10%)².
- Highly ambiguous symptoms cause up to 50% of cases to be missed by GPs in the 24hrs before admission³.
Benefits of HG Meningococcus:
- Results in = 60 minutes – Current culture methods can take up to 72 hrs
- Accurate diagnosis – HG Meningococcus allows patients who test positive to be effectively and efficiently treated with target antibiotics.
- It also allows MD to be rapidly ruled out with a negative result saving costs and time for the hospital and avoiding unnecessary antibiotics for the patients.
- Non-invasive samples – Compatible with throat swab samples and direct from CSF samples
|Methodology:||Loop Mediated Isothermal Amplification (LAMP)|
|Target:||Neisseria meningitidis serogroups A, B, C, 29E, W135, X, Y, Z|
Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF)
|Hands-on time:||= 10 minutes|
|Sample to result:||= 60 minutes|
|Product Name||# of Tests||Catalogue|
|HG Meningococcus Direct Swab||25||HGMENDS|
|HG Meningococcus Direct CSF||25||HGMENDCSF|
|HG Meningococcus Control||18||HGMENC|
|HG Swift Plus||–||HG SWIFT PLUS STARTPCK|
*FDA submission is planned. Product is not available for sale in the US market.
- Van de Beek D et al. ESCMID guideline: Diagnosis and treatment of acute bacterial meningitis, 2016
- Bourke TW et al. Diagnostic accuracy of loop-mediated isothermal amplification as a near-patient test for meningococcal disease in children: an observational cohort study, 2015